The story of the logo

Stamps and old logos: curios from the Acea Archives

In 1914 Sir Antonio Cefaly, the Chairman of AEM’s Administrative Commission, used a simple stamp on the minutes. Headed paper with the City of Rome’s coat of arms, a guarantee of stability and reliability, used for a resolution on the purchase of “mixed sheet metal” for example. The story of the Company’s visual identity from its origins to the present day is a simple and linear one, an essential style in line with the business segments of a multiutility that’s grown to become a point of reference in Italy. With the images on these pages our intention is to tell the tale of a logo that’s helped write more than a century of the Italian capital’s history.


 

Minutes of the Governor's Extraordinary Commissioner from 22 January 1936 (from 1 January 1927 to 5 July 1945 the Company’s Administrative Commission, which in 1926 became the Azienda Elettrica del Governatorato, was abolished and replaced by a sole Commissioner).


 

Minutes with resolutions passed on 23 January 1937, the year in which the municipal aqueducts were transferred from the Municipal Authority of Rome to the Company. The Company changed its name to Azienda governatoriale elettricità ed acque.


 

On 22 June 1944, following the liberation of Rome and a return to democracy (the Governorate was abolished) the Company changed its name to Azienda Comunale Elettricità ed Acque di Roma. In the first resolutions of this “new” Company you can see the word “governatoriale” (gubernatorial) has been crossed out and replaced by “municipale” (municipal), to later become “comunale” (of the City of Rome).


 

On 22 June 1944 the position of Governor's Extraordinary Commissioner was abolished. The Company was managed by a Commissioner until 4 July 1945. From 22 June 1944 to 9 August 1944, as no Commissioner was appointed, the Company was temporarily managed directly by the Mayor of Rome, Engineer Filippo Doria Pamphili. On 24 August 1944 Engineer Giuseppe Romita was appointed Commissioner (he remained in office until 4 July 1945). From 5 July 1945 (until the joint-stock company was set up) the Company was once again managed by an Administrative Commission chaired by the same Engineer Romita.


 

Work in progress, building the Acea headquarters in piazzale Ostiense. Work started towards the end of the 1950’s and was quickly finished from 1961 to 1962. After 38 years, this building replaced the old headquarters in Milan, and architecture magazines of the time called it “the most modern building complex in the capital, in a classic layout.” The poster shows one of the logos used by Acea in the 1960’s.